Walking Elephants - Single Day
Location: Chiang Mai province (Mae Taeng Area - North of the Chiang Mai city) – Northern Thailand
Nearest Airport: Chiang Mai (CNX)
Duration: Full Day (This trip includes a visit Elephant Nature Park)
Please see the Availability Calendar - Select your preferred date to Book Now !
Walking with Elephants is a new “Saddle Off Project”, in the Mae Taeng area supported by Save Elephant Foundation. During Covid, a small family run company, who operated elephant riding tours, contacted Save Elephant Foundation for assistance. With training and support, this small family business has now been able to change their tour model and practice an ethical and caring model. Walking with Elephants project has 3 elephants recently released from a riding tour operation and now follow the concept of other Save Elephant Foundation projects, where no elephants are tethered or ridden, allowing elephants to roam wild within forest areas. This project offers day trips for small groups of visitors, accompanied by an English speaking tour guide, to enjoy seeing these gentle giants in their natural habitat. Visitors and elephants take a gentle walk in the forest, where the elephants forage naturally for their food, enjoying their new found freedom without saddles on their backs. At midday, a vegetarian buffet lunch is provided for visitors at a relaxing riverside location within the project area. After lunch, visitors will spend time preparing and feeding the elephants, gathering fruit, vegetables and making rice ball treats.
The tour concludes with a visit to the world famous Elephant Nature Park where you can observe over 100 elephants in their chosen herds relaxing in the late afternoon. Most of the elephants at this sanctuary have been rescued over the years from unfortunate circumstances that have left them in need of rehabilitation – both physical and psychological. For several decades, the founder of Elephant Nature Park, Saengduean Lek Chailert, has been working hard to fundamentally change how elephants in Thailand are perceived and treated so that they may lead a happier, more natural existence
We take the safety of our guests and the well being of the elephants seriously. Our tour guides are highly trained and experienced in working with elephants, and will ensure that all interactions with the elephants are done in a safe and respectful manner. Before starting the tour, guests will receive a safety briefing that includes instructions on how to be around with the elephants.
We also limit the number of guests on each tour to minimize stress on the elephants and we never force them to perform any tricks or behaviors that are unnatural or harmful to them. By following our safety guidelines and respecting the needs of our elephants, you can enjoy a memorable experience at our project.
About your trip
Starting from 8:00am - 8:30am. Pick up from your Chiang Mai city hotel, or you must be at our office no later than 8am. - (Please check map)
If you are staying out of town (outside Middle ring-road) additional charges apply. Please advise on your reservation form.
Returning: around 4:00pm / 4:30pm to Chiang Mai city.
Walking with Elephants Trip Highlights
- Greeting and introduction to the project
- Wash and cut fruit and vegetables and feed the elephants
- Prepare healthy banana rice ball treats for the elephants
- Walk in the forest with the elephants, feeding them bananas along the way
- Observe the elephant behaviour such as rubbing against tress and foraging on bamboo, banana trees, grass and plants
- Vegetarian buffet lunch by the river
- Walk to the river and watch the elephants swimming
- Walk with the elephants back to the project while feeding them bananas
- Visit Elephant Nature Park to observe the herds
- Baggage / Luggage allowance: One small day pack per person
- What to Bring: Hat, Sunscreen, Sandals/Flip Flops, Change of clothing as you may get muddy or wet, Shoes for walking, Camera, Bug Repellent, Refillable Water Bottle.
- Trip Operational Months: All Year Round
- Age Suitability: Adults and children over 7 years
- Fitness Level: Moderate - Walking along forest trails
What is Included:
- Transportation from Chiang Mai city to and from project
- Food for the elephants
- Freshly prepared vegetarian buffet lunch
- Admission fee & insurance
- Qualified English speaking tour guide
- Afternoon visit to Elephant Nature Park
Trip costs: (per person)
Adult Rate: 3,500 Baht (12 years old)
Child Rate: 1,750 Baht (7 - 11 years old)
Bookings close: 2 pm (GMT+7), on the day before you are due to visit. A deposit is required to secure your place(s).
****Please note schedule may be flexible due to weather conditions and unforeseen circumstances****