Care for Elephants - Single Day
Location: Chiang Mai province (Mae Taeng Area - North of the Chiang Mai city) – Northern Thailand
Nearest Airport: Chiang Mai (CNX)
Duration: Full Day (This trip includes a visit Elephant Nature Park)
Please see the Availability Calendar - Select your preferred date to Book Now !
Care for Elephants provides a caring home to three elephants retired from a hard life in the logging industry and later elephant riding. The elephants living here spend their days in the forest, foraging for wild vegetation, giving themselves a mud bath, drinking at the river and socializing as a herd. At Care for Elephants there is an emphasis on providing a healthy diet suitable for senior elephants and treating old injuries and visitors are given an insight into elephant behavior as well as how to respectfully care for them.
Guests join a small group accompanied by an experienced tour guide and have the opportunity to prepare food and get to know the elephants while feeding them. Visitors then enjoy walking through the forest with the elephants, watching them do what comes naturally - foraging on native plants, taking a mud bath and scratching their bodies against trees. You will get to experience being close to these gentle giants while observing their interactions with each other. A vegetarian lunch will be served in a bamboo bungalow on a hillside with great views, while the elephants explore the valley below.
As well as being dedicated to the well-being of the elephants under his care, project owner, Ben, is also a talented photographer and on the days when he is free to join guests on the jungle walk, he will get high quality images of you with the herd, which will later be available for download.
The tour concludes with a visit to the world famous Elephant Nature Park where you can observe over 100 elephants in their chosen herds relaxing in the late afternoon. Most of the elephants at this sanctuary have been rescued over the years from unfortunate circumstances that have left them in need of rehabilitation – both physical and psychological. For several decades, the founder of ENP, Saengduean Lek Chailert, has been working hard to fundamentally change how elephants in Thailand are perceived and treated so that they may lead a happier, more natural existence
We take the safety of our guests and the well being of the elephants seriously. Our tour guides are highly trained and experienced in working with elephants, and will ensure that all interactions with the elephants are done in a safe and respectful manner. Before starting the tour, guests will receive a safety briefing that includes instructions on how to be around with the elephants.
We also limit the number of guests on each tour to minimize stress on the elephants and we never force them to perform any tricks or behaviors that are unnatural or harmful to them. By following our safety guidelines and respecting the needs of our elephants, you can enjoy a memorable experience at our project.
Schedule of the Day at Care for Elephants
- 8:00am - 8:45am. Pick up from your Chiang Mai city hotel, or you must be at our office no later than 8am. - (Please check map) If you are staying out of town (outside Middle ring-road) additional charges apply. Please advise on your reservation form.
- 08:45-09:45 – Travel to Care for Elephants with a safety talk along the way
- 09:45-10:00 – Arrive at Care for Elephants
- 10:00-10:15 – Greeting and introduction to the project and the rescued elephants
- 10:15-10:45 – Wash and cut fruit and vegetables and feed the elephants (*Seasonal fruits watermelon, banana, pumpkin, mango, cucumber)
- 10:45-11:00 – Prepare healthy rice banana ball treats for the elephants made from banana, maize, rice husks, tamarind, rice & salt
- 11:00-12:00 – Walk with the elephants in the forest, feeding them bananas along the way and observing their behavior as they take a mud bath, scratch their bodies on trees and forage on native plants
- 12:00-13:00 – Vegetarian buffet lunch at the top of a hill in the forest with great views of the valley below
- 13:00-13:30 – Watch the elephants swimming, cooling off and drinking in the river
- 13:30-14:15 – Walk with the elephants back to the project, feeding them bananas along the way
- 14:15-14:45 – Buy souvenirs, provide your details to receive photos from the day and say goodbye to the elephants
- 14:45-16:00 – Visit Elephant Nature Park to observe the rescued elephants interacting in their choosen herds
- 16:00-16:20 – Travel back to Chiang Mai
Care for Elephants Trip Highlights
- Greeting and introduction to the project
- Wash and cut fruit and vegetables and feed the elephants
- Prepare healthy banana rice ball treats for the elephants
- Walk in the forest with the elephants, feeding them bananas along the way
- Observe the elephant behaviour such as playing in the mud, rubbing against tress and foraging on bamboo, banana trees, grass and plants
- Vegetarian buffet lunch at the top of a hill in the forest with great views
- Walk to the river and watch the elephants swimming
- Walk with the elephants back to the project while feeding them bananas
- Visit Elephant Nature Park to observe the herds
- Baggage / Luggage allowance: One small day pack per person
- What to Bring: Hat, Sunscreen, Sandals/Flip Flops, Change of clothing as you may get muddy or wet, Shoes for walking, Camera, Bug Repellent, Refillable Water Bottle. This project can be very muddy and a change of clothing and footwear is essential.
- Trip Operational Months: All Year Round
- Age Suitability: Adults and children over 12 years
- Fitness Level: Moderate - Walking along forest trails for about 2 hours
What is Included:
- Transportation from Chiang Mai city to and from project
- Food for the elephants
- Freshly prepared vegetarian buffet lunch
- Admission fee & insurance
- Qualified English speaking tour guide
- Afternoon visit to Elephant Nature Park
Trip costs: (per person)
Adult Rate: 6,000 Baht (12 years old)
Bookings close: 2 pm (GMT+7), on the day before you are due to visit. A deposit is required to secure your place(s).